Tuesday, April 26, 2011

mormonhermitmom's review of Healer of Angels, by Martin and Susan Tyner


Okay, enough poetry for now. How about a little nonfiction? Martin Tyner, with help from his wife Susan, tells the story of his life as a falconer. This story, told in snippets, anecdotes and fragments, follows Martin while he struggles as a student trying to work through learning disabilities, as he talks himself into a job with a slightly fabricated "Sure I know him! I was just talking with him!", as he worms his way into learning how to train movie and circus animals by shoveling a lot of poop, to taking in every wounded/abandoned/seriously ill creature that shows up on his doorstep. Martin Tyner continues to have a full, adventurous life rehabilitating birds of prey and releasing them to the wild.

The Tyners have a pet shop in my home town. I remember driving by their place while in my comings and goings as a college student. These days Susan is still running the pet shop while Martin takes his eagle, named Scout, to Boy Scout Courts of Honor and schools all over the Southwest. He is also busy running the Southwest Wildlife Foundation, an organization dedicated to wildlife rescue.

The book presents a wonderful mix of the preciousness of life and the humor that makes it so rich. It's appropriate for all ages - as long as you can tolerate learning how different animals poop or puke occasionally. I'll be sure to keep my distance should I ever find myself close to a turkey vulture. It's a great read.

At the very least you should check out the South Wildlife Foundation's website.

3 comments:

  1. Great review thanks for sharing! Hope you are having an amazing day! Shauna from http://www.trying2staycalm.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I thought my poetry reviews were getting to be a little much, but I can't help it at this point. A couple of more books and I should be able to get back to Arabian Nights. I've read portions of this book too, and I have been to one of his Scout meetings. Impressive bird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, by the way, another book review of poetry is forthcoming shortly. X3

    ReplyDelete

Have you read this book? What did you think of it?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails