Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The God of Small Things, by Arundhati Roy


I can usually pick something good out of most any book I read, but I had a really hard time with this one.

Basically, we are shown the most disfunctional parts of an Indian family in a most disjointed way. The reader is dragged through two time periods, constant switching from one to another and from the point of view of too many characters. The "happiest" moment, the moment that the past was "leading" up to and was the cause of the misery in the present, the moment that was hinted at, insinuated about, glorified and at the same time reviled, was nothing more than a sex scene. And an uncomfortably descriptive one at that.

The quotes from Rudyard Kipling and The Sound of Music couldn't save this story from the rubbish heap. Even though I sympathize with those who endure abuse of all kinds and oppressive societies, this book only made me want to turn away in disgust. There is no redemption, no salvation, no hope. If that was the author's intention, it worked. I certainly HOPE to never hear, see, or read the story again.

Moms, guide your kids to better stuff, this one isn't worth the time.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say that I struggled with this book as well .........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just reviewed Kathryn Magendie's "Tender Graces" on my blog. A woman returns to West Virginia and the home she left as a child to make sense of how her mother could have sent her and her brothers away. Beuatifully written and uplifting. There is a bit of language (in the book, not my blog:) ), so be warned. www.bookreadress.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Have you read this book? What did you think of it?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails