Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Glenn Beck's Common Sense; The Case Against an Out-of-Control Government, Inspired by Thomas Paine, by Glenn Beck


Yeah, that title is a mouthful. I actually bought this book instead of getting it from the library. Why? Because Mr. Beck was kind enough to put Thomas Paine's Common Sense in the back half of the book which, honestly, I was more interested in. I remember Thomas Paine's pamphlet being mentioned in many an American History class, but up to now had never read the text and I thought it was high time I did.

Mr. Beck is something of a celebrity these days, the somewhat heir apparent to Rush Limbaugh on the conservative talk radio circuit. I don't listen to Rush. I heard him talk on one episode and couldn't stand him. I probably would never have heard Glenn Beck's radio show had it not been for the fact that my van's FM blew out, leaving me only AM radio channels. He's on when I pick up my son from preschool two days a week. The other AM channels have Spanish language programs I don't understand.

Glenn Beck is only slightly less annoying than Rush. He says a lot of what's on my mind and on a lot of things I agree with him, but his radio show talk goes around in circles. Talk about attention deficit disorder. He constantly stops talking about one thing and goes off on a tangent that just irritates me. His version of Common Sense is a little better than his radio show in that he is a LITTLE more organized in presenting his thoughts, but not by much.

Like Paine, Beck describes the abuses of government and how wrong our leaders are in doing what they do, and like Paine, Beck urges the citizens of the United States to get involved and DO something. Beck does caution against using violence. I don't think Paine had any such reservations about armed resistance.

Beck has an optimistic view that "We, the People" can actually change what's going on in Washington. I wish I was that optimistic. Unfortunately, I don't think politicians listen to the people that elect them. They listen to the people that give them money for their campaigns.

I think Glenn Beck should take the proceeds from his books and buy himself a politician - everybody else does. Then maybe he'll see a little of the change he wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? What did you think of it?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails