Friday, May 15, 2009

Potty Train Your Child in Just One Day; Proven Secrets of The Potty Pro, by Teri Crane


I'm of two minds about this book.

One, it's so crazy it just might work.

and

Two, are you kidding me? What the crap? (Oh wait a minute, my 12 year old says I can't use the c-word because it is slang.) What the excrement?

So anyway.

Ms. Crane uses a variety of motivators to get a toddler to want to go in the potty instead of in his/her diapers. Some are old methods, such as using a wetting doll to help the child "teach" someone else how to use the potty, and using copious bribes, er treats, to reward every step that gets a kid to come closer to the elusive goal.

The new thing, to me, involves spending a solid eight hours in one day working on the child. Reading books about the potty, watching videos about the potty, singing songs while on the potty, all with the living room decorated with the child's favorite cartoon character themed party accessories. That's right, it's a potty party. Complete with wrapped gifts and a big celebration at the end of the day for the child who now "knows" how to go potty like a big boy/girl. The days following this party are in the "maintenance" category. You reinforce what the child has learned but not with the all the bells and whistles.

Granted, this author is a working mom, with incredible pressure to make sure her child is potty trained before reaching preschool, because, as she so often reiterates, "preschools don't want non potty trained kids". If anyone needs a short in duration big burst of energy to propel the little dears into potty independence, it's a working mom.

Here's my biggest qualm about the whole method. THE COST. The author says you can't skip much in her prescribed formula, otherwise the required reinforcement isn't enough to impress the child to give up diapers. She gives you copious lists of things to do/buy to make this method a success. I would have to become an income earning mom just to purchase all the stuff necessary for this "one person" party.
Give me a break.

I have four kids. The first one was potty trained by my MIL, who did a great job by the way, and the next two I trained, in not so great a way as my MIL. I have a hard time with potty training, because, let's face it, it's a zero sum game here. I don't get treats for using the potty myself. I don't want to focus on the rewards for going potty beyond encouragement and praise, because I am not going to continue to reward the little ones with treats for the rest of their lives so they will use the potty. I don't want my kids to think they can wait to be bribed before learning how to do something they will be EXPECTED to do on their own by society at large.

I have one more kid to train, and I'm looking for a less frustrating experience for both of us, but I think I'll keep looking for a different source of instruction. However, if you like planning parties and going all out for any occasion, go see the author's website here.

2 comments:

  1. I would agree with you that the book is more geared for the working mom. I haven't read it yet but it looks interesting. One of the problems a working mom encounters is trying to set up a system or a routine in my own home, but is probably nothing like day care. How can I possibly train her and then send her off to day care where it wont be a focus. We aren't at all ready for potty-training but just starting to investigate the how tos. I am scared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out "What's your poo telling you." It is written by doctors who tell you what your body is telling you by what it extracts. It is also hilarious. I saw it at my sister in law's house. Medical and Comical all in one!

    ReplyDelete

Have you read this book? What did you think of it?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails