Thursday, January 29, 2009

Private Investigation Strategies and Techniques, The World's Greatest Private Eye Reveals Her Secrets, by Angela Woodhull



You never know what you're going to find at the public library. I grabbed this off the shelf as I was running down the aisle trying to catch my three year old. He ran around the stacks giggling rather loudly as I was desperately trying to slip past other patrons. It's hard to chase a toddler full bore and maintain the quiet dignity that should exist in a library.

So anyway, this book gave me a quick laugh. When a book has a disclaimer such as "for entertainment purposes only" I figure it's either tongue-in-cheek, or it's a do--it-yourself bomb manual. Apparently the publisher has printed many controversial titles, of which this is one of the tamer ones. Still, if the stories in them are true, the author has quite the life of adventure.

She tracks down cheats, adulterers, missing persons, people avoiding court summons, and digs into people's pasts to find the odd facts, the dirty laundry and the girlfriend escaping an abusive relationship. She gets the scoop from neighbors with a door to door cosmetics kit and magnet signs on her van. And she holds the hands of distraught clients with the patience of a therapist. I definitely could not do what she does; I can't talk my way out of a paper bag, she manages to talk her way out of trespassing charges.

A slim book that made for amusing reading, it may not be award winning material (and it's probably out of print anyway) but I highly recommend it for "bathroom reading".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? What did you think of it?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails