Friday, January 23, 2009

The Bake Shop Ghost by Jacqueline K. Ogburn, Illustrated by Marjorie Priceman


This is a sweet book in more ways than one. The best baker in the state passes away but stays in her bakery to chase away one would-be pastry chef after another. Then a young chef from a cruise ship comes to stay, and boy, do the eggs fly! In an effort to appease the ghost, the chef makes one cake after another, trying to find the one cake that will satisfy her.

I won't spoil the ending on this one as the ending made me tear up a bit, sniff, but there is a mouth-watering recipe on the back page for a heavenly chocolate cake. I haven't tried it yet, because I'm more the Betty Crocker in a Box type baker, but I love children's books that have ideas/recipes/crafts to do together after reading the book.

The illustrations seem to be done in watercolor, although the book doesn't say for sure. I do like knowing what materials an artist uses to create the illustrations and some books have a small note to that effect on the copyright page.

My kids didn't seem to notice the book much, but my three year old did sit with me while I read it to him. If he gets bored, he has no compunction with walking away from storytime.

To see a teacher's guide about this book, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? What did you think of it?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails